Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Hinamatsuri

The 3rd day of the 3rd month is my sisters birthday and Hinamatsuri or Doll Festival or Girl's Day. The principal at the elementary school called me while I was at the junior high school and told me she was going to stop by to bring me a gift.
These dolls were all wrapped up in a box with a bow around it. This gesture made me feel: loved, grateful, and like I am a twelve year old girl. I then spent a portion of my afternoon reading about the significance of the gold screen behind them and the colorful stand they are on.
The finest things I own here in Japan are all from the same person. And these things include fancy dresses, tea sets, and now dolls. A demonstration of femininity I suppose.

2 comments:

lindsay k said...

i have a person that plays the same role and she gave me dolls last week as well! yours are very pretty!

Caitlin said...

Today I was told that it was tradition if "no marriage." So, we can play with dolls until marriage...