Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Speaking English in Tokyo

Last weekend was spent in Tokyo, speaking English to Japanese people, and determining that I have spent a lot of time in this country which could someday result in me going crazy.

Leah and I got on the Shinkansen Friday evening. We made sure we had ample snacks for the three and a half hour ride from Okayama to Tokyo.
As well as a lot of plastic bags apparently.
We accidentally hopped on the smoking train. Which is basically a party for business men who just got off work.
The Shinkansen is the fastest train in the world. It was comparable to a spaceship which makes for an interesting setting for a bunch of salary men to get drunk in.

We arrived in Tokyo with time to grab one of the last trains to our hostel. From there the two of us set out to do some karaoke. Which is when it starts to get strange.
Just me, and my little cousin Leah, in Tokyo, setting out to find the karaoke rooms so we can do some sober karaoke.
We did and it was really fun.
But it is Japan. Leah and I both seem to have a sort of understanding of this country. Which results in utilizing the local culture for fun.

The following day Leah was my guide around the big city. After witnessing a line around the block just to get into the newest H&M it was determined that the economy in Japan could never really fail because people will always go shopping. Which could be perceived as a relief, I guess.

We ate spicy ramen at the only trendy ramen shop in existence.
As well as cake and pizza later in the evening.

While walking from the Italian restaurant to the subway a bunch of Care Bears caught my eye. The inner Japanese girl in me came out as my eyes glazed over and I whispered "kawaii."
I tried to grab one.
Leah tried to grab one.
And of course, we eventually won one.

We then boarded a shuttle to Ageha, arguably the coolest club in Tokyo. Which, I suppose would make it one of the cooler clubs in this little world. The Care Bear came with us on the shuttle, which in Japan is pretty normal.
The entrance fee for the club was about $35. And drinks were about $7. Luckily, Tokyo is full of people who speak English. And people that are eager to approach the foreign girl on the dance floor.
Tokyo was refreshing. I felt like people have seen plenty of foreigners. Many of the foreigners I saw looked as if they lived in Tokyo. Japanese people spoke English to me with ease Saturday night.
I spent most of the evening dancing near the outdoor pool. The DJ was to my right and the Tokyo skyline ahead of me. My new friends continually pulled me back onto the dance floor every time I attempted to slip away to go find Leah. As the sun began to come up I found myself wondering, once again, about this strange life I live. This huge club in Tokyo was fun. The pretty girl that kept grabbing my face and telling me I was cute was also pretty fun. But I think I discovered the definition of cool with ice burgh lettuce salads and episodes of The Office on DVD. But, for whatever reason, Japan seems to provide me with some sort of energy that motivates me to dance for hours and travel long distances most weekends. I think if I continued to thrive off the sort of energy that keeps me moving until 4 a.m. easily I would eventually go crazy.

Leah and I caught the first train home Sunday morning and made it to her friend's apartment to watch the sunrise over Fuji.
This weekend, two different people guessed I was between 19 and 22 . I will be 25 on Friday.
Oh. Japan.
Help.

No comments: