Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Wasilla, Alaska

I would like to take this moment to say that I am sorry for not spending more time talking about how much I love Obama. I will say that I like to read this blog to get political news.
Also ... yea, let's prioritize!

Anyway, I spent the summer of 2005 in Wasilla, Alaska. At girl scout camp to be more specific.
This what it was like:
Which was really cool. But that is about all that happens in Wasilla.
That and there were a lot of bees that summer. In fact, I got stung once and my entire leg swelled up and I had someone take me to the emergency room. While I was in the waiting room I lost my breath and was rushed ahead of other patients. The nurses began to take my vital signs, epipen in hand. A nurse then turned to me and said, "Your oxygen is over 100%. You are having an anxiety attack."
I was embarrassed and asked if I could leave. They told me I needed to lay there for a while. They were not very nice.

Wasilla seemed to be a beautiful part of the country that was being slowly suffocated by strip malls.

I also met a Native Alaskan who was wiser than me and nine years younger. And I taught a bunch of fourteen year old girls how to build a fire. That may have been the most empowering thing I have ever done.

Wasilla was the only place in the world where I felt like animals were in charge and people were second in line.

I am just glad that some people are asking the former Mayor the really tough questions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yea, well ditto to Matt - and to quote James Carvel, "We've got bakeries in New Orleans bigger than the town hall in Wasilla." Mom