Thursday, January 24, 2008

Even if I hated it I would stay another year.

My unoffical motto about recontracting, for another year in Japan once was, "even if I hated it I would stay another year."



But I take that back.



A more accurate statement would be, "Only if I hated it would I not stay another year."



The Board of Education (BOE) I work for has been asking me when I am going to come to the office to sign the recontracting papers.



They are due the 8th of Febuary, but most BOE's like to get them in early to figure out budget stuff.



So I geuss I am recontracting. I have told myself that I am going to go there on Friday to sign the papers.



I am in no hurry to make things more convient for my BOE. This is the BOE that does not subsidize any of my rent, or pay for my car, or take me out to dinner, or even anwser my questions- all things that many other JETs BOE`s do for them.



I told myself I got over that awhile ago. There is nothing I can do about it. And it is not like my life is really hard or something.



I went out to dinner with another JET`s BOE supervisor and she was shocked to hear about how little my BOE does for me. She seemed truly concerned (the way any good Japanese woman would be).



I told her that over the past few months I have figured out who will help me out. And I have been invited to numerous dinners and various other, sometimes annoying and somethimes fun, Japaense things.


It all just took a minute to figure out.

And that is a reason I want to stick around a little bit longer ... there is only more figuring out to be done.



That and the fact that I seriously love my kotatsue like I have never loved before.

Before I leave this country I would like to know that I have saved enough money to get a kotatsue in the States. Financially I am not there.



Also, I really do not feel like being in the States for the next election.

Japanese people like to talk about American politics and they are all routing for the democrat.

Most of them are for Obama.

I have successfully turned all the adults in my conversation class to be Obama supporters.



Sometimes in the States I would run into those sneeky republicans or super crazy Christains.

I would think I had made a grown-up friend. I would be feeling real adult because me and this other adult, who I randomly meet, would be talking and I would think we were real cool. Then that adult would sneek in that sly conservative or super Christain remark.

And I would be sad for America.



And my sister will be in Asia another year and who knows who else might move over to this part of the world.



I have sort of been waiting for a sign from God about this recontracting thing. I told myself I would not make any sort of final decision until I got back from south east Asia.

I thought that when I got back that God would tell me in a really obvious way what my decision should be.



The only thing I have noticed about my return is that the sun never shines in January and I am not feeling moved to study that damn language I thought I would want to study upon return.



But I think I have been planning to stay two years all along.



The past months have gone by so quickly and I cannot imagine how fast the next few will go too.



When I first got here I had planned to take a trip back to the States in the Spring. Now that just feels too soon. And Summer in America might be the best thing in the world anyways.



I do feel positive about recontracting. I could have never in my wildest dreams imagined to be so lucky to do as much traveling and exploring as I have done since I have been in Japan. And such travel and exploration really is an art, something I would like to spend much more time mastering.



To quote others, "6 months down and 18 (or more) to go."

2 comments:

FunkyChicken said...

I am in no hurry to make things more convient for my BOE. This is the BOE that does not subsidize any of my rent, or pay for my car, or take me out to dinner, or even anwser my questions- all things that many other JETs BOE`s do for them.

Um...that's life. It does suck but yeah, you get over it. No one is gonna pay for that stuff in the real world either.

ESID!

Caitlin said...

But this is the real world. Japan- with all its various character- is my reality.
And I am pleased about it.